01 November 2005

The Badger OIF Foundation

I mentioned in an earlier post that I was working on setting up a nonprofit organization to support some of our charitable efforts. Well, the organization has been set up and we’ve filed for the tax exempt status. The organization’s name is The Badger OIF Foundation, Inc. Our first project with the organization, assisting with the collection of school supplies for the children of Safwan, Iraq, is coming to a close. The end result was two (2) forty-foot connexes of supplies—pens, pencils, paper, crayons, scissors, etc. We literally have received hundreds of banker boxes of school supplies. Wow! I am still amazed by that. What an incredible response from the people of Wisconsin, especially in light of what people have already given to victims of Hurricane Katrina.

In the upcoming week or so, we’re going to be handing out the school supplies to the kids. I hope to have some pictures of the events at the various schools.

We’ve already got an eye on the next couple of projects. One project involves acquiring 450 desks for school children and 50 blackboards on which to write. Another project involves obtaining soccer equipment for the area’s 30+ soccer teams. Many kids around here don’t even have shoes (let alone cleats). We’ve already obtained an initial commitment from the Milwaukee Wave, which has agreed to donate 1,000 used soccer balls (yes, 1,000!). FedEx has expressed a willingness to ship the soccer balls over here. With some luck, this will all come together.

Stay tuned!

Comments:
how can we donate to this organization if we don't live in wisconsin?
 
Thanks for the offers (and for those sent via email). I'll post something in the next couple of weeks for people interested in helping out.

Btw, it's not limited to people from Wisconsin. Most of the soldiers in my unit are from Wisconsin and our contacts are from there or states contiguous to Wisconsin. I don't think Iraqi's care if a contribution is from Wisconsin, California, NY, etc. :-).

Seriously, thanks for the posts and I'll let you know when we're ready to start the next initiative.
 
themobilized...Sir.,

Its great reading over your blog.

I am with the 32nd and have just finished up our training from Camp Shelby and am headed to the areas where you have been through.

Please contact me at brainpost@charter.net if you get a few as I would like to ask you a couple of questions.

Likewise, if there is anything I can get done for you here, let me know.

Blog General (http://www.brainpost.blogspot.com)
 
I don't know if this would work, but I am fairly certian that I could get a large number of "kids" soccer cleats that are used. We have lots of soccer kids around here and cleats are only good for a season or at most a year.

I can't promise they won't be worn of even some stinky, but definatly serviceable.

Would that help?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?