06 December 2005

Kuwaiti Drivers

I’m not sure what it is. Some Kuwaiti drivers are absolutely insane (or perhaps more accurately, Drivers in Kuwait are insane--I suppose I don't know if they are Kuwaiti or not).

I’ve driven the roads of New York, LA, Chicago, Atlanta, etc. Sure, they have the cars that drive 90-100 mph on the highway, weaving in and out of the various lanes. That’s stupid. And, I know you’ve probably experienced or heard stories about how various countries have “crazy” drivers. Perhaps so. But, how often though do you see two cars driving 90-100 mph side by side, jockeying for position, heading northbound in busy southbound lanes? Or, how about a car with a flat tire failing to pull all the way off the interstate-type road and then trying to change his tire sitting in the road (one of my soldier’s saw the subsequent decapitation take place). And the one I’ve seen over a dozen times, a semi-truck moving on to an entrance ramp too quickly and tipping the rig and trailer over.

Every time I head south in Kuwait, I either witness a serious accident or see the recent aftermath of a serious accident. I’m not talking fender benders—I’m talking flipped vehicles, overturned trucks (especially fuelers) and crushed cars.

I suppose it has to do with a lack of driver experience and perhaps a lack of regulation and enforcement. I don’t know. But, they have got to see the consequences of this type of driving.

In Iraq, the driving is not so bad (comparatively so anyway), but when there is an accident involving a truck, dozens of people come out and pilfer the goods from the truck.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?