18 March 2006

Combat Lifesavers

A solid bridge between the self-aid/buddy-aid medical treatment that every soldier is trained on in basic training and the combat medic is the combat lifesaver. The combat lifesaver is a non-medical soldier (e.g., an infantryman, mechanic, tanker, cook) trained to provide emergency care as a secondary mission. When he has completed his combat mission (or then currently has no combat-related task to perform), the combat lifesaver is typically the first responder when an incident happens. When a combat medic is present, the combat lifesaver assists the medic in providing forward care and preparing casualties for evacuation.

The combat lifesaver is taught advanced techniques in casualty assessment, hemorrhage control, and the treatment of tension pneumothorax. Among other training, the combat lifesavers are also taught basic techniques on casualty stabilization and administering IV fluids.

I am a big proponent of combat lifesavers and combat lifesaver training. I personally went through the training and certification a few months back. Well over half of my company is also trained and certified. Time and time again as indicated in after actions reports involving injuries, one of the first things soldiers mention about the incident is that they were so glad that they had a combat lifesaver in the gun truck.

Comments:
I was moved by your comments about the combat lifesaver course that many non medical soldiers take in the Military.I was a USAF medic for 20 years and I retired in 1999.I pray for all of you in harms way and it makes me feel good in a way where I see military members looking out for their fellow soldiers by making sure they are trained as as Combat lifesavers.
 
Nothing related to this post...I heard the song America's Greatest Hero this evening and thought about you. I pray everyone in the 127th is safe. God bless you.
 
I think 'Combat LIFESAVER' is such a good name. Who knows how many more lives will be saved because of this course. Thank God. Be safe sir!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?