27 March 2006

Qatar

To give soldiers a break from their wartime missions and for some units (like mine) to reward soldiers who have been doing an exceptionally good job, the Army has a pass system. For our unit, the people who are awarded a pass get to go down Qatar for four days. Qatar is a peninsula country offshoot of Saudi Arabia located on the Persian Gulf.

In Qatar, the air base there had a variety of events for soldiers (and marines, airmen, and sailors). Everything from water sports and fishing in the Persian Gulf to cultural tours and shopping. When I went, there was some difficulty in getting into the various activities, which was unfortunate. The one event that I did get to participate in off base was golf. I hadn't golfed in almost 3 years. My game showed it. But, it was still fun. Here are some golf pictures:



From a cosmetic standpoint, Qatar is very modern looking. There was a lot of construction underway while I was there. A fair amount of money was spent on artistic displays and statues.


Qatar however is far from "modern" from a social standpoint. In many ways, it is a very traditional Muslim country. They have very restrictive laws on speech. Despite the upper 80's temperature, we weren't allowed to wear shorts off base. We weren't allowed to take a picture of any building that had a Qatari flag on it nor were we allowed to take a picture of any Qatari citizens without their permission.

The day prior to the golf, I had a great experience eating a medium rare steak at Chiles (on the air base). Yeah, I know, that sounds lame. But, even though the meat wasn't the quality of a steakhouse back in the states, it was juicy with a pink center.



My mouth is watering just remembering it. Whenever the chow hall serves "steak" (and I use that term very loosely), it is always overcooked (well done and usually dry) and often kept warm by the fact that the steak is held in warm water. The other part of the restaurant experience that was neat is that I forgot (for an hour or so) that I was in the Middle East. It took me back to the feeling of being in any chain sit down restaurant in the states. Again, I know that probably sounds lame, but it was nice to get away (at least psychologically) from the constant reminders of conflict in the Middle East.

Here are a few more pictures:


Comments:
Last Autumn a soldier sent me an email while on 4-day pass to Qatar. He was soooo excited. Thanks for posting the pictures. I hate admitting I chuckled at your comment about the steak. My Christmas packages to soldiers included steak knives so they could cut the sausages I sent. One soldier told me that after he and his buddies ate all the sausage, he kept the steak knife so he could cut his "well done, well burnt steaks" with something other than a plastic knife. It's odd that in the States we hear you have steak and lobster on base, but we seldom hear how horrible it is. God bless you. Thank you for your strength and courage.
 
You did not sound lame in the least! I'm glad you could have a decent steak and forget 'the middle east' even for a little bit. Its the little things in life that mean the most... Take care and know that we here at home keep you all close in heart and prayers.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?