27 April 2006

A Good Day

I sat there with one of my men’s blood-soaked IBA (body armor) in my hands. It was the end of a long day and I was exhausted. Although, I had a very strange feeling come over me. It was the feeling of having a good day. A damn good day.

Earlier that day, I received a dreaded message. I was summoned to the TOC because of an emergency situation involving one of my crews. The three minute trip to the TOC seemed like an hour with all the thoughts racing through my head. When I got there, I found out that two of my soldiers were injured in an IED attack.

The TOC crew was doing what they do best in terms of managing crises situations. They were true professionals, on the ball, in control, forward-thinking, anticipating issues, coordinating with non-U.S. coalition forces, etc. As we were receiving reports, it was clear that my other guys on the scene were doing a great job too: relaying reports, securing the scene, follow on searches, rendering medical aid, etc. They were well-trained and also professional.

My injured soldiers were MEDEVAC’d to the hospital. Despite the typical lethality of the type of IED they were hit by, my soldiers’ injuries were (thankfully!) not life threatening or permanent. They were walking and talking before too long. And by the end of the day, they were even joking. What a relief.

I went to examine their vehicle that had been towed back. It was chewed up pretty good. It did its job though. The .50 cal was totaled. I’m not suppose to talk about the specifics on the IED or the effects on the HMMWV. The IED was one of the “bad ones” though and we were very lucky that something more serious hadn’t happened. I knew it and my guys knew it. When I linked up with them at the hospital, we each said it to one another at least a dozen times that day.

By late afternoon, one of the Generals in our chain of command was able to pin purple hearts on my soldiers’ chests. They wore them with pride. The purple heart is kind of like the CIB/CAB (these soldiers had already been awarded those badges months ago). A purple heart is an award of acknowledgement of service. A symbol of sacrifice for one’s country. These guys were among the dozens that day that silently sacrificed for their country, joining the thousands of their brothers that have done so before them in their service to our country and its people.

Comments:
Interesting. In my day, thirty some odd years ago, the "forgot to duck" award was not looked upon the same way. Nor was it that big of a deal.

Times change.

Continue the Mission

Papa Ray
West Texas
USA
 
While this war shares a lot with Vietnam, there's a lot that it doesn't share. We don't have the battles of Vietnam. The enemy usually choses the time and place, strikes, and then runs away. Soldiers are looked upon differently by the American people. And there are other distinctions as well (perhaps a future blog post?).

Most of the strangeness that I felt in having a "good day" was that it logically shouldn't have felt like a good day. Perhaps it was just the relief after starting out so badly.
 
Thank God for "good days"! I'm so glad your guys weren't hurt any worse. Thank you all for doing what you do. You all are in my thoughts & prayers--and in my heart. Be safe.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?