21 April 2006

Soldier Growth

One of the great things about being a military leader is to see soldiers grow. I’ve witnessed a number of soldiers come into their own over the last 10 or so months during our mobilization. For example, I’ve got one soldier who a year ago could, at best, be described as “wayward.” He was always in trouble. He lacked discipline, didn’t care about much, and had an attitude about virtually everything. Today, he’s like a new man. He’s gained self respect. Others have come to rely upon him and he's become a real likeable and dependable guy. It brings a smile to my face just thinking about his turnaround.

And it’s not just the young guys. I can think of at least three NCOs/Officers who last year could be characterized as part of the over-35, past their prime crowd (yeah, I know that probably sounds funny to non-veterans--but the veterans out there probably know the type of person I'm talking about). These NCOs/Officers were just coasting—getting by from drill to drill, resting on their laurels/good ol' boy network, doing what was only necessary not to be called out. In fact, one of my previous first sergeants even wanted me to get rid of one of them. But, through some coaching and early successes during their tours, they all came into their own as well. They became proactive. They each built on their successes and achieved far more than I had confidence they would be able to. Their achievements were not only personal, but the unit overall is better for them. Each one of these NCOs/Officers I think has been surprised by his own success. You can see it through their new-found confidence in their smiles.

I know I'm proud of both the hard work they've all put in under a stressful wartime environment and what they've each accomplished. What I've witnessed during our mobilization has strengthened my belief in the potential and the abilities of the American Soldier.

Comments:
And you all wonder why we say we're Proud! Thank you for sharing this. I would venture to say that they have grown at least in part because of the leader they have... =) Be safe, Sir.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?